-- Campus Catalog --Registration Priority
- According to class standing
Professional programs in pharmacy and physical therapy are closed.Limitations
Registration in most upper division courses may require consent of instructor and demonstrated proof of prerequisites. Art, biology, business, computer science, education, and media arts cannot be guaranteed and may require instructor consent. Most classes in creative writing and journalism require instructor's consent which must be negotiated by the individual.Notable Academic Programs
- Wildlife Biology - Our academic programs and geographic location provide excellent opportunities for wildlife study and student research. Students come to UM from across North America to benefit from the close proximity to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks, the National Bison Range, and nearby national forests and wildlife refuges. The University's Biological Station on Flathead Lake offers biology courses during the summer and is available for research. We offer options in both terrestrial and aquatic wildlife biology with courses ranging from organismal biology to applied ecology and conservation management.
- Journalism - Our goal here is to train working journalists who can hit the ground running when they enter the job market. Soon after students arrive, we send them into the world. They learn how to report and write about public affairs. They talk with experts, debate important policy issues and learn how to use digital tools to reach a broader audience.
- Environmental Studies - The EVST Program's mission is to provide students with the literacy, skills, and commitment needed to foster a healthy natural environment and create a more sustainable, equitable, and peaceful world. Our faculty offer courses in natural science, social science, and humanities, and our students are encouraged to engage fully with the Missoula community and Montana landscape around us. EVST features at 10-acre working organic farm (PEAS Farm), a 2-house/6-student community sustainability residence project (UM FLAT), and a 25-year old environmental literacy magazine (Camas). We welcome you to join us!See www.cas.umt.edu/evst for more information.
- Creative Writing - Founded in 1920, University of Montana's Creative Writing Program is one of the oldest, most prestigious in the country. Shaped by presences such as Leslie Fieldler, Patricia Goedicke, Richard Hugo, and William Kittredge, the program offers student writers instruction and mentorship by a committed and diverse group of faculty, visiting writers, alumni, and peers.
- Business Administration - The School of Business Administration prides itself on its strong commitment to experiential learning. In fact, most classes at the junior and senior level are built around a focus on learning by doing. Pair that with our notable career development program, and our graduates are well-prepared for a professional career.
Unique Academic Programs
- Entertainment Management - The University of Montana Entertainment Management certificate explores the entertainment business-- music, television, film, sports, live performance, literary and visual arts. UMEM introduces students to the business of entertainment while providing an opportunity to learn from top industry professionals, including alumni, representing: WME/IMG, CUT Recordings, SRO Consultants, Citizen Net, Paramount Pictures, and more, in a relaxed classroom environment. This one-of-a-kind program offers an incredible opportunity for students looking to break into the entertainment industry and is designed to be completed in 1 year.
OptionsUndergraduate Majors Open to NSE Students
Honors Access: Yes
Anthropology: Anthropology, Archaeology, Ethnic Studies, Forensic Anthropology
Area Studies: African Studies, Afro-American Studies, Asian/Oriental Studies, Celtic Studies, Chinese Studies (minor), Cinema and Cultural Studies, First Nation Studies, Gerontology, International Studies, Japanese Studies, Japanse Studies (minor), Latin American Studies, Native American Studies
Art/Design/Fine Art: Art, Art Education, Art History, Ceramic Art/Ceramics, Design Technology, Digital Arts, Drawing, Fine Art, Media Arts, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture, Studio Art, Theater Art
Athletics: Athletic Training, Exercise Science, Health and Fitness Teaching, Physical Education
Biological Sciences: Aquatic Biology, Biology/Life Science, Botany/Plant Sciences, Cell Biology, Field Biology, Fish Biology, Genetics, Human Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Neuroscience, Wildlife Biology
Business: Accounting, Business Administration, Business Education, Entertainment Management, Entrepreneurship, Finance/Banking, International Business, Management, Management Information Systems, Marketing, Public Administration
Chemistry: Biochemistry, Chemistry, Forensic Chemistry, Molecular Biochemistry
Communications: Broadcasting, Communication, Film, Interpersonal and Public Communication, Journalism, Journalism and Contemporary Media, Organizational Communication, Photo Journalism, Print Media, Radio and Television Studies, Sound Design, Speech/Rhetoric/Public Address, Visual Design/Web Media
Computer Science: System Administration
Criminal Justice: Criminology, Forensic Science
Earth Sciences: Astronomy, Astrophysics, Geology, Geosciences
Education: Curriculum/ Instruction Supervision, Early Childhood, Educational Administration and Supervision, Elementary Education, English, Health Education, Junior High/Middle School, Language and Literacy, Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Reading, Science, Secondary Education, Social Science Education, Special Education, Teaching and Learning, Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL), Technology Education, Theatre Education
English: Classical Studies, Comparative Literature, Creative Writing, English, Film Studies, Linguistics, Literature, Rhetoric, Writing
Environmental Studies: Conservation, Ecology, Environmental Education, Environmental Studies, Fire Science, Fish and Game Management, Fisheries Science, Natural Resources, Natural Resources/Science/Management, Range Management/Resources, Resource Recreation Management, Sustainability Studies, Wildlife Biology/Science, Wildlife Conservation, Wildlife Ecology, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Recreation Management
Foreign Language: Arabic (some courses), Chinese (some courses), Classical Languages, English as a Foreign Language, French, German, Greek, Japanese, Latin, Russian, Spanish
Forestry: Forest Management, Forestry
General Studies: Classical Studies, Gender Studies, Liberal Studies
Geography and Urban Studies: Cartography, Environmental Planning, Geography, Physical Geography, Rural Community Development
Health and Safety Sciences: Communication Disorders, Community Health, Exercise Science, Health Promotion, Health Science, Medical Laboratory Technology, Pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Sciences, Physical Therapy
Hospitality and Tourism: Tourism Management
Information Studies: Computer Science, Information Systems
Interdisciplinary Studies: Non-Profit Programs
International Studies: International Relations
Library Science: Library Science
Mathematics: Applied Mathematics, Computation Science, Mathematics, Mathematics-Physics, Pure Math, Statistics
Military Sciences: Army ROTC, Military Sciences
Performing Arts: Acting, Ballet, Dance, Design/Technical, Modern Dance, Music, Music Education, Music History, Music Industry, Music Performance, Music Technology, Music Theory and Composition, Music/Jazz Studies, Performance, Piano Pedagogy, Theater Arts/Drama, Theater Production
Philosophy/Religious Studies: Philosophy
Physics: Astrophysics, Physics
Political Science: American Political Science, International Affairs/Relations, Political Science, Public Administration/Affairs
Pre-Professional : Law Pre-Professional, Medicine Pre-Professional, Pharmacy Pre-Professional, Veterinary Medicine Pre-Professional
Psychology: Counseling, Psychology
Recreation: Non-Profit Programs Management, Outdoor Recreation Management, Parks Administration and Management, Recreation
Sociology/Social Work: Gender Studies, Rural Sociology, Social Work, Sociology, Women and Gender Studies, Womens Studies
Speech Pathology and Audiology: Communication Disorders, Speech Pathology and Audiology, Speech Therapy
Theater: Performance and Directing