-- Campus Catalog --Registration PriorityClosed Programs
CLOSED: Education, Fashion Design and Merchandising, Architecture, NursingLimitations
Difficult: Business-Upper Division, Many for majors only, all Business courses have prerequisites
Difficult: Art Courses
Difficult: Public Health Upper DivisionNotable Academic Programs
- Educational Studies - Kent State University began in 1910 as a teacher-training school and today supports programs in Adolescent & Young Adult Education, Career Technical Teacher Education, Curriculum & Instruction, Early Childhood Education, Middle Childhood Education, and Physical Education.
- Public Health - Public Health students with real-world experiences in this exciting field. Students learn about earn about the public health care system in the U.S. and abroad as well as emerging public health concerns such as pandemic infectious disease and new threats to the environment.
Exciting internship opportunities for Public Health Students. Options include:
-Cleveland Foundation Summer Internships
-Wellness Programming Intern For Center For Families and Children
-U.S. Department of State Internship Program
- Aerospace Engineering - This specialized program has been developed to provide students with essential knowledge of aerodynamics, aerospace materials, structures, propulsion, mechanics, stability and control, as well as introductory topics in orbital mechanics, rocket propulsion and the space environment.
- Visual Communication Technology - Nationally recognized for outstanding quality in design education, with emphases in visual design, illustration and photo-illustration, VCD provides students with a cross-disciplinary approach to the study of print design, three-dimensional design, interaction design, motion, photography and illustration through coursework that is demanding, yet derived from industry standards.
Student opportunities include experience working at Glyphix, the award-winning student-staffed design studio in downtown Kent.
- Interior Design - Kent State's Interior Design program is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accredidation (CIDA)and ranks high nationally as one of the top interior design programs in the country year after year.
Unique Academic Programs
- Recreation - Professional opportunities are available in, but not limited to: resorts, theme parks, visitor and convention bureaus, local park and recreation departments, state parks, national parks and other protected natural areas, campus recreation and wellness centers, urban recreation centers, youth development, YMCA, YWCA, therapeutic recreation, inclusive recreation, corporate wellness programs, camps and outdoor leadership schools.
Kent State is located less than 10 miles to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park!
- Languages - The ESL Center provides intensive English language instruction to students who want to enter American universities or learn English for other personal or professional reasons. All courses are available at various proficiency levels to insure that students receive the best English training possible.
- Theater Art - Year-round production opportunities provide students with a quality education in our state-of-the-art facilities, including the recently completed Roe Green Center for the School of Theatre and Dance which houses more than 70,000 square feet of learning, performance, and design space. With three performance spaces on site in the Center for the Performing Arts and a fourth in the form of our outdoor summer theatre, Porthouse Theatre, students have frequent chances to display their work.
- Digital Arts - As an independent school, the School of Digital Sciences is outside all of the university's colleges and draws faculty from colleges across the university to teach its courses. Its students have a unique opportunity to take classes from other programs as part of their major.
- Nutrition - The Kent State University Didactic Program in Dietetics meets all university, college, and school requirements, as well as incorporate the professional knowledge requirements of ACEND, The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics. Students participate in the Kent State Center of Nutrition Outreach and provide services for individuals and families including nutrition counseling, health assessments, nutrient analysis for business products, menus, and services, and facilitates a 10-week Kids Camp for overweight kids.
The KSU Nutrition and Dietetics program also participates in Kent State's Campus Kitchen Project, which prepares meals for more than 350 individuals in need who are serviced by social service agencies, local school districts, and communities facing food insecurity.
Summer and Short Term ProgramsOptions
Honors Access: YesUndergraduate Majors Open to NSE StudentsAerospace Sciences:
Aerospace Studies, Aviation Studies, Flight Technology
Agriculture: Animal Sciences, Horticulture, Life Sciences, Plant and Soil Systems, Plant Genetics, Plant Pathology, Plant Protection, Plant Resource Sciences, Plant Science, Soil Science, Viticulture
Anthropology: American Indian Studies, Anthropology, Archaeology, Ethnic Studies
Architecture: Architecture, Interior Architecture, Landscape Architecture/Design
Area Studies: African Studies, Afro-American Studies, American Multicultural Studies, American Studies, Art Studies, Black Studies, Chinese Studies (minor), Gender, Ethnicity and Multicultural Studies, Gerontology, Hispanic Studies, Holocaust and Genocide Studies, International Studies, Japanse Studies (minor), Jewish Studies, Latin American Studies, Popular Culture, Russian Studies
Art/Design/Fine Art: Art, Art Education, Art History, Ceramic Art/Ceramics, Commercial and Advertising Art, Computer Graphics, Crafts, Design, Digital Arts, Drafting, Drawing, Fiber-Fabric, Fine Art, Glass, Graphic Design, Illustration, Interior Design, Jewelry and Metalsmithing, Media Arts, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture, Studio Art, Theater Art, Visual Arts
Athletics: Athletic Training, Exercise Science, Fitness and Sports Science, Fitness Management, Health and Fitness Teaching, Movement Studies, Physical Education, Sports Management/Administration
Biological Sciences: Applied Biology, Biology/Life Science, Biotechnology, Botany/Plant Sciences, Cell Biology, Evolutionary Biology, Field Biology, Forensic Biology, Human Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Zoology
Business: Accounting, Actuarial Science, Advertising, Business, Business Administration, Business Information Systems, Entertainment Management, Entrepreneurship, Finance and Operation Management, Finance/Banking, Human Resource Management, Insurance, International Business, Law and Public Policy, Management, Management Information Systems, Marketing, Marketing Communication, Operations Management, Organizational Studies, Personnel, Product Design, Public Administration, Public Relations, Small Business Management, Systems Management
Chemistry: Biochemistry, Chemistry
Communications: American Sign Language, Audio Production Technology, Broadcasting, Communication, Electronic Media Production and Management, Graphic Communication, Interpersonal and Public Communication, Journalism, Magazine Journalism, Mass Communication, Multimedia, Newspapers, Organizational Communication, Photo Journalism, Radio and Television Studies, Sound Design, Speech/Rhetoric/Public Address, Telecommunications, Visual Communication Technology, Visual Design/Web Media, Writing/Editing
Computer Science: Computer Game Design, Computer Network Security, System Administration
Consumer and Family Studies: Child Consumer and Family Studies, Family Economics and Resource Management, Family Science/Services, Family Studies
Criminal Justice: Corporate and Homeland Security, Corrections, Crime and Society, Criminal Justice, Criminology, Forensic Science, Juvenile Justice, Law Enforcement/Police Sciences, Paralegal Studies, Systems of Justice
Earth Sciences: Earth Science, Geology, Meteorology, Physical Sciences, Planetary and Space Sciences, Science
Economics: Applied Economics, Economics
Education: Bilingual, Child Development, Childhood Studies, Early Childhood, English, French, Health Education, Human Development, Junior High/Middle School, Junior High/Middle School Mathematics, Kindergarten Education, Language and Literacy, Learning Disabilities, Learning Skills, Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Reading, Science, Secondary Education, Social Science Education, Spanish, Special Education
Engineering: Aerospace Engineering, Computer Engineering, Construction Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Engineering Management, Engineering Operations, Manufacturing Engineering, Materials Engineering, Mineral/Mining Engineering
English: Business Writing, Classical Studies, Comparative Literature, Creative Writing, English, Language and Literacy, Linguistics, Literature, Professional Writing, Technical Writing, Writing
Environmental Studies: Conservation, Conservation Biology, Energy/Environmental Policy, Environmental Biology, Environmental Geology, Environmental Health and Safety, Environmental Health Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Studies, Resource Recreation Management, Sustainability Studies, Wildlife Biology/Science, Wildlife Conservation, Wildlife Recreation Management
Fashion: Apparel/Fashion Design, Apparel/Fashion Merchandising
Food Science: Food Science, Food Services Management, Nutrition
Foreign Language: American Sign Language, Arabic (some courses), Chinese (some courses), Classical Languages, English as a Foreign Language, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese (some courses), Language and Culture, Latin, Portuguese, Romance Languages, Russian, Spanish
Forestry: Biotechnology, Forestry
General Studies: Arts and Science, Classical Studies, Gender Studies, Humanities, Individualized Degree Program, Individualized Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Leadership Studies, Liberal Studies, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Social Studies, Spanish Literature
Geography and Urban Studies: Applied Geography, City Planning, Geographic Information Sciences & Emergency Management, Geography, Human Geography, Physical Geography, Urban Planning, Urban Studies
Health and Safety Sciences: Community Health, Dietetics, Environmental Health, Exercise Physiology, Exercise Science, Gerontology, Health Education, Health Promotion, Health Science, Health Services Administration, Health Services/Hospital Administration and Management, Nursing, Occupational Safety and Health, Public Health, Safety Education, School Health
Hospitality and Tourism: Hospitality Management, Hotel/Restaurant Management, Hotel/Travel Administration, Tourism and Travel, Tourism Management
Industrial Studies: Construction Management, Industrial Technology
Information Studies: Applied Computer Science, Computer Applications, Computer Information Systems, Computer Mathematics, Computer Programming, Computer Science, Computer Technology, Information Science, Information Systems, Information Technology, Systems Programming
Interdisciplinary Studies: Non-Profit Programs, Popular Culture
International Studies: International Relations, International Studies
Library Science: Library Science
Marine Sciences: Oceanography
Mathematics: Actuarial Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Biomathematics/Biometrics, Mathematical Economics, Mathematics, Mathematics-Physics, Statistics
Military Sciences: Air Force ROTC, Army ROTC, Military Sciences
Music: Choral Music
Performing Arts: Acting, Ballet, Choral Music, Dance, Design/Technical, Jazz Composition, Modern Dance, Music, Music Education, Music History, Music Performance, Music Technology, Music Theater, Music Theory and Composition, Music/Jazz Studies, Performance, Piano Pedagogy, Technical Theater, Theater Arts/Drama, Theater Design Technology, Theater Production
Philosophy/Religious Studies: Ethics, Philosophy, Religious Studies
Physics: Applied Physics, Chemical Physics, Physics
Political Science: Government, International Affairs/Relations, International Studies, Peace Studies, Political Science, Public Policy Studies
Pre-Professional : Law Pre-Professional, Medicine Pre-Professional, Pharmacy Pre-Professional, Veterinary Medicine Pre-Professional
Psychology: Child Psychology, Human Development, Psychology
Recreation: Adventure Education, Leisure Studies, Non-Profit Programs Management, Outdoor Education, Outdoor Recreation Management, Parks Administration and Management, Recreation, Recreation Leadership, Sports Administration, Sports Management
Sociology/Social Work: Child Care Services Management, Community Services, Gender Studies, Human Services, Law and Society, Social Science, Social Work, Sociology, Women and Gender Studies, Womens Studies
Speech Pathology and Audiology: Deaf Studies, Speech Pathology and Audiology, Speech Therapy
Technology: Applied Engineering and Technology, Biological Technology, Computer Engineering Technology, Computer Technology, Design Technology, Electronics Technology, Engineering Technology, Graphic Communications Technology, Information Systems Technology, Manufacturing Technology, Mechanical Technology, Plastics Technology, Radiologic Technology, Technology Education, Technology Studies
Theater: Performance and Directing